Tuesday, August 24, 2010

3 Weddings and a Funeral (Part 2)

I wanted to write this post about a woman I never knew.

Elaine, a close friend of Dustin's family, passed away over the weekend.  I didn't have the pleasure of getting to know her because she has been sick since Dustin and I started dating.  I have, however, had the opportunity to get acquainted with her husband Bill.  When I asked Dustin to choose a person to read one of the selected poems in our wedding, he didn't hesitate with his answer.  It had to be Bill.  He has been and continues to be an extremely important role model/friend to my husband.

Everyone could learn a lesson from their marriage.  It is something we all strive for -  a story of true, unconditional love and devotion, and of truly living wedding vows... "for better or worse, in sickness and in health."  Elaine was sick for around ten years, in hospice care for nearly two.  She was a strong lady who wanted nothing more than time, as much as she could get here with her family.  To hear Bill talk about her, she was his saving grace and the best person you could know.  Bill never left her side.  And she fought for him.  For ten years.  He never put her in a "home."  He took care of her and spent every night with her.  He did what most people wouldn't do in that situation.  He put himself and his needs behind those of wife.  For ten years.

Her funeral will be on Wednesday, just a simple graveside service.  Exactly what I believe funerals should be - those closest to you remembering and celebrating your life.

I hope we are all so lucky as to experience a love like this in our lifetime.  A love where no one quits or gives up no matter how difficult things get.  It's such an inspirational, admirable and heartbreaking story, all rolled into one.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this, Brittany. Sometimes when I look at how the world views marriage and how many disregard their commitments to the vows made, I am often deeply discouraged. I'm not one to think that marriage should be taken lightly and that if problems arise they cannot be solved through some hard work, dedication, and much love. When I hear stories like this, I am reminded of how beautiful a marriage where two people who fully commit their lives to eachother and put the others needs above their own can be. I'm truly sorry to hear about this loss, but what a wonderful example of love that has been shared.

    ReplyDelete