Monday, May 2, 2011

Where to Start?

I went on vacation with my mom last week.  While we were gone, this happened at home and in surrounding states in the Southeast.

this tornado was a mile wide

the aftermath in Alabama

My husband was at home with our dogs, ready to take cover with them in the bathtub, but our family remained safe and unharmed.  I can't describe the feelings I've had as I have seen the magnitude of what was going on while we were on vacation.  It seems Alabama was hit the worst.  The National Weather Service estimated 266 tornados went through the south in a 24 hour period.  The largest in Alabama is said to have been an F5 as it was a mile wide with winds exceeding 260 mph.  The American Red Cross is doing their best to help the victims of the storm system.  I'm sure donations and volunteers are much needed as the search for survivors continues and so many are left without homes.

The people of Japan are still trying to clean up after the earthquake and tsunami that devastated the area in March. It seems the death toll is difficult to calculate as it is still rising and so many were just swept away.

I have also been remembering victims of the flood in Nashville that happened a year ago.

______________________


I spent a wonderful week on vacation with mom at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada, FL.  The weather was perfect - 85, sunny, with a slight breeze.  The ocean was the most beautiful shade of blue.  Sometimes it was hard to tell where it stopped and the sky started.  We ate every meal by the water and enjoyed key lime martinis, mojitos, and wine.  I barely moved the entire week.  The point of sharing this is to express how blessed, fortunate, and thankful I am.  It is easy to get wrapped up in your own little world and forget what is going on around you.  Thoughts and prayers are with those who are suffering.

Sometimes when you think it couldn't get much worse, it doesn't.  Osama bin Laden IS DEAD.  A huge EVIL has been erased from the world. 

Remembering the victims of 9-11 and their families.  Now... bring our troops home!




No comments:

Post a Comment